In the local dialect, they are called palasòcc, and in addition to hosting visitors to Crespi, represent the first homes, built between 1877 and 1878. They are simple rectangular buildings, with three stories, which could house up to twelve families.
The same architectural model was used for the nearby hotel and pub built few years later.
On the left of Corso Manzoni and Via Donizetti arise some homes that look all the same, they are the workers’ houses. By the end of 1907, there were around fifty such homes in the village. They had a square layout with two stories. if we look carefully they are not exactly the same.
Some had a single entrance with a staircase that led to the upper story.
While others had two separate entrances.
The residences for the doctor and priest are located on the highest point of the hill that faces the village. They were built in 1897 with the same techniques as the workers’ houses, but are larger and have more decorative details.
Constructed between 1891 and 1893, under the direction of Pietro Brunati as the engineer, is an exact duplicate of Santa Maria di Piazza Church in Busto Arsizio. The only difference from the original is the base made of ceppo from the Adda River, measuring 70 centimetres in height, and the Veronese marble staircase.
The factory occupies most of the southern part of the village and consists of a single-story structure. The architectural line is sequential, with a sawtooth roof over large rooms with cast iron weight-bearing structures. Hence, the factory is a long, low structure, rather than tall. This elongated form satisfied the need to have a single engine and to distribute energy produced in a continuous and effective manner. Over the years, the factory grew in modules around the initial nucleus, evidenced by the Medieval style tower, designed by the architect Angelo Colla.
After the upheaval of the First World War, the southern part of the village, which had been vacant, began to be developed. These five new homes had more decorative elements and used more precious and varied materials compared to the workers’ houses. These are the cottages for clerical workers and department heads.
In the wooded area, sheltered from the village and far from the hustle and bustle of the production areas, eight elegant villas were built in the 1920s for executives. Compared to the precise and orderly layout of the workers’ homes, the executives’ villas were more varied and asymmetrical, which also characterised their architecture. As opposed to the other residences in the village, each villa is distinct from the others and large parts of the façade are covered in stone. Wood was used alongside Adda ceppo and, in general, the use of different materials created sharp contrasts in colour, enhanced by the surrounding woods, which was sometimes incorporated in the home, with plants growing along arbours, porches and balconies.