Taccani hydroelectric station - Trezzo sull’Adda
Pro Loco di Trezzo sull’Adda.
Via Valverde, 20056 Trezzo sull’Adda – MI.
Telephone/Fax 029092569, mobile 3459132210, firstname.lastname@example.org
Esterle hydroelectric station – Cornate d’Adda
The Esterle station resembles a luxurious villa rather than a power station. Thesupply channelis located five kilometers upstream. The generators andturbines are still the originals.
Bertini hydroelectric station - Robbiate e Cornate d’Adda
The Bertini hydroelectric station is one of the oldest in the area. Nearby, there is a museum that describes the history of electricity in Italy.
Binda paper mill - Vaprio d'Adda
A Vaprio d’Adda, in una zona compresa tra il Naviglio Martesana e l’Adda, verso la fine del Settecento sorge una cartiera. Viene scelto questo posto per l’abbondanza di acqua disponibile, elemento essenziale alla produzione. La cartiera passa nella mani di diverse società e della struttura originaria non rimane pressoché nulla, anche se ci sono tracce di una piccola centrale idroelettrica che sfruttava le acque del naviglio.
A paper mill was built in Vaprio d’Adda, between the Naviglio Martesana and the Adda River, at the end of the 1700s. The location was chosen specifically for the abundance of available water, which was an essential element for production. The paper mill changed ownership many times, and almost nothing remains of the original building, however, there are traces of a small hydroelectric station on the canal.
Molinazzo spinning mill - Brivio
The spinning mill belonging to the Mejani family, in Brivio, was built in 1776 and its layout reflects the typical characteristics of well-known Lombardy workshops – the river and the residential area adjacent to the manufacturing area.
In fact, the homes and the spinning mill were connected by a footbridge. The spinning mill was constructed horizontally, is large, and was well lighted from the nine large windows along the walls. One of the walls had a large clock that marked the rhythms of production.
Velvis velvet factory - Vaprio d’Adda
In 1839, Stoli Dell’Acqua & Co. opened a factory for spinning and twisting cotton.
In 1858, it was purchased by Archinto and seven years later changed ownership again to the Visconti family of Modrone, who created the Velvis brand – Visconti Velvet.
The factory resembles a medieval fort. The crenelated tower held the vertical engine shaft that provided power to the machines on the various floors of the factory. Once again, the water of the Martesana fuelled production, through a complex system of underground canals.
Abegg spinning mill - Garlate
In 1841, Gaetano Bruni built the Abegg spinning mill in Garlate. The Abegg family, originally from Zurich, purchased it in 1887, increasing production. The water, drawn from the lake formed by the Adda, powered the hydraulic wheel which turned the spindles through wooden mechanisms and belts.
Iron, cast iron, metal joints, rivets, bold geometrical overlays, 100,000 nails and no soldering, in other words – the iron bridge at Paderno d’Adda.
It lies just below the Robbiate dam and represents one of the most impressive Italian engineering feats of the 1800s. It was built between 1887 and 1889 as the project of the Swiss engineer, Julius Röthlisberger, in the same period and using the same techniques as the Eiffel Tower in Paris. In fact, just a few year earlier, Eiffel had designed the Garabit Bridge, in the heart of France, of which the Paderno version is an exact replica.
The Eiffel Tower and the Paderno Bridge became a symbol of industrial progress on both sides of the Alps. The bridge was constructed to provide a railway line in a highly concentrated industrial zone that was not able to make use of the Adda. It is 266 metres long and the upper span is supported by seven pylons, which are in turn supported by a semi-ellipse. The structure has two levels, with the lower one used by trains and the upper one for vehicles and pedestrians.