Houses for clerical workers and department heads
As the country recovered from the tragedy and destruction of the First World War, homes began to be built in the southern part of the village, which had previously been vacant. Compared to the workers’ houses, these homes were more richly adorned and used more valuable and varied materials.
The five structures became the homes of clerical workers and department heads.
In the isolated woody area of the village, far from the hustle and bustle of the production areas, eight elegant cottages were built for executives in the 1920s.
Compared to the highly ordered layout of the workers’ houses, the executives’ cottages were arranged more irregularly and asymmetrically, and is reflected in the architecture. While the other houses in the village were identical, these cottages were each unique, with most of the façades being covered in stone.
Between 1925 and 1927, a section of motorway that connected Milan and Bergamo was constructed. As with the state road, the motorway had to cross the depression created by the Adda River.
The bridge was completed in slightly less than two years. The newspapers at the time described it as lean, with a parabolic arch of 80 metres, passing 40 metres above the river and 180 metres long. The tollbooth for the motorway exit to Via Crespi was nearby.
During the last part of the Second World War, some Allied bombers tried to take out the bridge but were unsuccessful.
As traffic increased, the lanes needed to be doubled in 1961 and the tollbooth was moved. In 1970, it was widened to three lanes of traffic in both directions, and then to four lanes in 2007.
The velodrome opened in 1923 and its cement track became famous for thousands of cycling fans. Its fame was also enhanced by being the start and finish lines for the “Giro della Bergamasca”, an annual cycling race held from 1925 to 1955.
The winner was awarded the prize of “Amateur Champion of Lombardy”. On the same day, there were other traditional races held on the track.
In 1925, a post office was built a short distance from the factory entrance, which also served as the telegraph office for the town.
A new recreation club, located in the church square, was opened in 1928 following a day of festivities marking the 50th anniversary of the town’s establishment.
The recreation club was an important part of civic life. It offered courses as well as cultural and sporting activities to bring the town’s inhabitants together, providing various opportunities for their free time.